How to Maintaining Excellent Health

Drink plenty of water. Much of our body and brain are made up of water. You need water to stay hydrated, to flush out toxins, to assimilate nutrients from food, and for your brain to function properly. Drinking plenty of water also keeps your skin from becoming dry and prematurely wrinkled from dehydration. How much water do you need a day? Rule of thumb is to drink one half of your weight in ounces each day. For example, if you weighed 130 pounds, you would need 65 ounces or approximately two quarts of water a day. If you do strenuous exercise or work, you will need even more water.

Coffee, tea, and soda are not substitutes for water. They actually are dehydrating and if you drink them you will need more water. Even fruit juice is not a substitute for water because it comes from a food source and is not a true solvent.

Drinking tap water is better than not getting enough but it is best to drink water which has been purified naturally or through reverse osmosis or distillation. Only some of the bottled water meets these criteria.

I have a habit of carrying a bottle of water wherever I go and I drink at least one half of my weight in ounces every day.

You need a little sunshine
It is true that you can get too much sun but we need some sunshine. Ten to twenty minutes of daily early morning or late evening sun is beneficial.

Sunshine gives you vitamin D which you need so your bones can absorb calcium. Without enough vitamin D our bones can become brittle and break. It is unnatural to spend all of our time indoors. We need fresh air and a little sunshine to maintain excellent health.

Several years ago I worked in a high rise and I was getting very little sunshine. I had a blood test and learned that I was low in Vitamin D and I was starting to experience some bone loss. Since that time I have been taking a vitamin D supplement and I try to get a minimum of 10-15 minutes of early morning or late evening sunshine several days a week. I have checked my level of vitamin D periodically and it has been normal.

Exercise is important.
Our bodies need movement and physical activity. Proper exercise slows down our physical deterioration. We need three types of exercise: Flexibility, aerobic, and strength training.

A. Flexibility exercise.
As we age our bodies become stiffer. Yoga, swimming, tai chi, or just doing stretching helps us to maintain flexibility.

a. Aerobic or cardiovascular exercise.
Walking, biking, jogging, dancing, and sports which help you to stay in your working heart rate for 20-30 minutes are beneficial to your heart. Charts are available to determine the working heart rate for your age bracket.

b. Strength training exercise.
This exercise keeps your muscles firm and strong. It also keeps your bones strong when combined with proper nutrition. This type of exercise includes weight lifting (it can be light weights), calisthenics, and machines which provide resistance.
Unless we are an athlete or compete in sports we do not need to spend a large amount of exercising. Like anything else it can be overdone and then the returns diminish. Moderation has its benefit. My personal exercise program does not require a lot of time. I spend twenty minutes a day taking a fast walk for aerobic benefit plus five minutes jumping on a small trampoline (rebounder). I do five minutes of yoga a day plus five to ten minutes on an inverter table for stretching & flexibility. I exercise for ten to fifteen minutes twice a week with light weights for strength training. If your diet is good, a mild to moderate exercise program is sufficient to stay fit.

4. Don’t smoke or abuse alcohol and drugs.
If you are serious about maintaining excellent health, it is important to stop smoking or to never start. Alcohol and drugs destroy brain cells and have many other detrimental effects on our bodies. If you do drink alcohol, moderation is best. If you are an alcoholic then it is probably not possible to drink in moderation. I smoked from the time I was sixteen years old until I was twenty two. I am so grateful that I gave it up. I drank socially until I was in my late twenties and then I decided to quit drinking. I believe that my health today has benefited from giving up tobacco and alcohol.

5. Eat well.
Fresh fruits and vegetables are among the most important foods you can eat. The greater the variety of colors, the better because they contain different types of antioxidants. Antioxidants strengthen your immune system and slow the aging process. Fresh produce is best, frozen is second best, and the least nutritious are canned fruits and vegetables.

It is beneficial to eat some raw foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds. They contain enzymes which are frequently destroyed when the food is cooked. Enzymes help with digestion and increase our energy. Eating a salad with one or two meals a day is a great habit. When you eat raw food, know your sources to avoid bacteria contamination. Whole grains, legumes, seeds, and nuts are beneficial. Raw nuts, seeds, fruit, and vegetables contain energy in addition to vitamins and minerals. Fast foods, food high in sodium, saturated fat, transfatty acids and sugar are best avoided or reduced. Following some of these simple and common sense health tips can increase your chances of living a healthy and enjoyable life. I have been a lacto-vegetarian (includes diary but no eggs, fish, chicken, or meat) since I was in my thirties (over 30 years). For the past two years I have been vegan (includes seeds, nuts, fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes but no meat or diary).